So it’s been two weeks since the new year started. How are those resolutions working out for you? 80% fail by the time February rolls around, so let’s do this the smart way.
Our 2019 goal is to consistently provide you with valuable info that makes your life better. Not just during the mad rush of goal setting in January.
You ready to make this your best year yet?
Let’s talk mornings.
This was how mine used to go:
Push the snooze button five times. Check work email with one eye closed because it’s too early to open both of them. Scroll through Instagram for five minutes. Be annoyed I wasn’t sipping a Mai Tai in Hawaii before realizing I was going to be late for work. Stumble out of bed and trip on a dog toy. Rush around trying to brush my teeth while trying to get dressed for work. Realize the dog hasn’t been out yet. Take the dog out. Remember I haven’t eaten anything. Get mad at myself for not setting the coffee machine the night before. Grab a bagel and run out the door feeling overwhelmed, tired and stressed before 8am.
Hmmmm…let’s try this again.
The way you start your morning is a powerful strategy to setting the tone of your day, and (not to sound dramatic) it can also set the way you live your entire life. When I revamped my morning, I decided my goal was to feel Calm, Focused & Energized.
Here are the top five things that helped me reclaim my morning:
- Drink a glass of water. Hydration, hydration, and more hydration is key to your digestion and the secret to ridiculously good skin. Leave a full glass by your bed at night and you’ll have no excuse not to chug it as soon as you wake up.
- You don’t need to tackle a 5am spinning class. Even four minutes of moving around (jumping jacks, planks, pushups, sit-ups, calf raises while brushing your teeth) will get your endorphins going and prime you for your day.
- There’s a reason meditation has become so trendy. It works. Reduce your stress, increase your happiness, conquer addictions, and lengthen your attention span. Just five minutes is enough to get the amazing benefits.
- Visualize your day. Don’t go straight to your phone. Don’t look at Instagram. Don’t check your work email. Your eyes need a gentle transition to the morning. Instead, spend one minute mentally going through your day. But don’t think about every single thing on your to-do list. Think about how you want to feel at each point of your day. This will set the tone for calm productivity instead of crazed reactivity.
- Steps 1-4 should take less than 15 minutes. Now it’s time to fuel yourself. Your first meal should be high in nutrients so you feel satisfied and can easily breeze by the plate of muffins at the office. If you have time to fix yourself a nutrient-dense breakfast, go for it. I usually don’t so my fave quick go-tos are the Nutrient Shake (chocolate please!) blended with a banana, spoonful of peanut butter, almond milk, and ice. Or I’ll grab a Nutrient Honey Granola Bar and I’m all set for the morning. Seriously, I don’t get hungry until well past lunchtime and I feel extremely focused all morning long.
Now, go try it yourself and take your morning back!